Thursday, November 17, 2011

Final Book Proposal

Femme
(or something else)


I have been toying with many different concepts for my final book assignment.  But, no matter what I keep coming back to the idea of femininity and the nude figure.  I was very inspired after looking through different photography books from the special book collections on the fourth floor of Cabell library.  I was most inspired by Sante D'Orazio's A Private View, Photographs & Diary. The way that he combined multiple images to a page, and in some instances put a single image across two pages really interested me.  I don't want my nudes to come off in a sexual way, but I want them to be perceived more for the innocence a nude figure represents. I plan to solely use digital images, and some of the images I will include in my book will be from earlier projects from the semester. I will include a small amount of text in the beginning of the book, but none with the images.  

 Inspirations

 
 Diane Arbus
I have not been able to find any information on this work but it was taken around 1970.  I think that many of her images show a raw, innocent quality quality that I want to show with my own images.  This image specifically felt very personal without knowing anything about the subject.

 Arthur Elgort
Kate Moss, Paris, 1993, 20 x 13 1/4 in.

I have always been very inspired by Elgort's work.  His images have so much emotion behind them yet seem effortless.  He is able to capture beauty and light in a way I hope to be able to do.  His photographs show a kind of innocence of women, yet a kind of strength at the same time.  I feel like this combination is what makes his photographs incredible.



Here are some more images that have been inspiring to me for this project:

1 comment:

  1. http://www.matthewmarks.com/artists/nan-goldin/
    Nan Goldin Show at Matthew Marks was really great.
    You should research the show. The article must be on New York Times or New Yorker.
    Technically, be sensitive about lighting.
    There are so many female nude /fashion portraits. Being aware of the cliche and still enjoy to find your own way to relate female body/nudity would be the key.

    ReplyDelete